Guernica 37
Guernica 37

BBC News: “David Duckenfield faces 95 Hillsborough manslaughter charges”

Image by: Karl and Ali

David Duckenfield faces charges of manslaughter arising out of his alleged responsibility for the Hillsborough disaster, a human crush that led to the death of 96 Liverpool fans –men, women and children–. The disaster took place in the 1989 Liverpool v Nottingham Forest match in Sheffield. Duckenfield will not be prosecuted for the death of the 96th victim, as he died four years after the disaster. Five other people have also been charged with criminal offences related to this tragic event. BBC News published the following article about the Crown Prosecution Service’s decision.


Former Ch Supt David Duckenfield faces 95 charges of manslaughter and five other senior figures will be prosecuted over the 1989 Hillsborough disaster.

Mr Duckenfield was match commander at the FA Cup semi-final when 96 Liverpool fans were fatally injured in a crush.

Ex-South Yorkshire Police (SYP) Ch Insp Norman Bettison, two officers, a solicitor and a Sheffield Wednesday club secretary also face charges.

The Prime Minister said it would be a day of “mixed emotions” for families.

Last year, new inquests into the 1989 disaster at the Liverpool v Nottingham Forest match in Sheffield concluded the fans had been unlawfully killed.

For legal reasons, Mr Duckenfield cannot be charged over the death of the 96th victim Tony Bland, as he died four years after the disaster, prosecutors said.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) must apply to the High Court to lift an order imposed after he was prosecuted privately in 1999, which must be removed before he can be charged.

The full list of individuals facing charges are:

  • Mr Duckenfield faces manslaughter by gross negligence of 95 men, women and children.
  • Sir Norman faces four charges of misconduct in a public office relating to alleged lies he told in the aftermath about the culpability of fans
  • Graham Mackrell, former Sheffield Wednesday Club Secretary, will be accused of breaching Health and Safety and Safety at Sports Ground legislation
  • Peter Metcalf, who was a solicitor acting for SYP, is charged with perverting the course of Justice, relating to changes to witness statements
  • Former Ch Supt Donald Denton is accused of perverting the course of justice
  • Former Det Ch Insp Alan Foster is charged with perverting the course of justice

No organisation will face corporate charges. No-one from the ambulance service will face charges, CPS chief Sue Hemming revealed earlier.

The defendants, other than David Duckenfield who now lives in Ferndown in Dorset, will appear at Warrington Magistrates’ Court on 9 August.

Ms Hemming made the announcement to victims’ families at a private meeting in Warrington earlier.

She said: “Following our careful review of the evidence, in accordance with the Code for Crown Prosecutors, I have decided that there is sufficient evidence to charge six individuals with criminal offences.

“Criminal proceedings have now commenced and the defendants have a right to a fair trial.”

The CPS brought charges following referrals from the Operation Resolve investigation into the causes of the disaster and the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) probe.

The IPCC investigated the conduct of both SYP and West Midlands Police (WMP) in the days and weeks afterwards.

Any decision regarding WMP, which was brought in to carry out the original investigation into the conduct of SYP officers, will be made at a later date.

Barry Devonside, whose son Christopher, 18, was killed in the disaster, said: “Everybody applauded when it was announced that the most senior police officer on that particular day will have charges presented to him.”

Evelyn McDonnell Mills, whose brother Peter McDonnell, 21, died, said: “I’m really happy that we’ve finally got some charges after 28 years.

“I’m just sad that my brother Gerard, who campaigned for years, died in the first year of the new inquests and never got to see justice.”

At Prime Minister’s Questions, Theresa May said: “I know from working closely with the families when I was home secretary that this will be a day of mixed emotions for them.”

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said: “I think we should pay tribute to all of those that spent a great deal of time trying to ensure there was justice for those that died at Hillsborough.”

SYP Chief Constable Stephen Watson said: “Decisions concerning the bringing of criminal charges are rightly for the CPS.

“Given that criminal proceedings are now active, it would be inappropriate for me to comment further for fear of jeopardising this important process in any way.”

A spokesman for Sheffield Wednesday said the club had no comment to make.


This article was originally published at BBC News on 28th June 2017

More News

  • Captura de pantalla 2017-12-08 a las 18.48.18 Radio SER: “Sin justicia para Siria”

    Radio SER: “Sin justicia para Siria”

    Read Story
  • Captura de pantalla 2017-12-06 a las 20.45.46 Cherie Blair: “‘Never again’ is becoming a fantasy. Justice does not have to be.”

    Cherie Blair: “‘Never again’ is becoming a fantasy. Justice does not...

    Read Story
  • Captura de pantalla 2017-12-05 a las 20.46.34 ABC News: “Ex-colonel denies role in priests’ slayings in El Salvador”

    ABC News: “Ex-colonel denies role in priests’ slayings in El...

    Read Story
  • Captura de pantalla 2017-12-01 a las 18.05.49 RTVE: Prisión incondicional decretada contra Inocente Orlando Montano

    RTVE: Prisión incondicional decretada contra Inocente Orlando Montano

    Read Story
  • Captura de pantalla 2017-12-01 a las 17.18.03 El Español: El coronel salvadoreño que ordenó la matanza de cinco jesuitas españoles, a prisión

    El Español: El coronel salvadoreño que ordenó la matanza de cinco jesuitas...

    Read Story
  • Captura de pantalla 2017-12-01 a las 14.23.55 I Am Shawkan

    I Am Shawkan

    Read Story
  • Captura de pantalla 2017-12-01 a las 12.49.13 El Diario.es: Abogados europeos estudian como llevar a la justicia los crimenes de lesa humanidad de la guerra siria

    El Diario.es: Abogados europeos estudian como llevar a la justicia los crimenes...

    Read Story
  • Captura de pantalla 2017-11-29 a las 16.15.23 The Guardian: Former El Salvador colonel extradited to Spain over 1989 murder of Jesuits

    The Guardian: Former El Salvador colonel extradited to Spain over 1989 murder of...

    Read Story
  • Captura de pantalla 2017-11-29 a las 16.04.23 Cadena SER: España podrá juzgar al inductor del asesinato del jesuíta Ellacuría

    Cadena SER: España podrá juzgar al inductor del asesinato del jesuíta Ellacur...

    Read Story
  • Captura de pantalla 2017-09-29 a las 23.01.45 El Mundo: El ex viceministro de Defensa salvadoreño Inocente Montano llega a España para enfrentarse al caso Ellacuría

    El Mundo: El ex viceministro de Defensa salvadoreño Inocente Montano llega a...

    Read Story
  • Captura de pantalla 2017-10-19 a las 20.08.21 COMUNICADO DE PRENSA: El coronel salvadoreño Inocente Orlando Montano llega a España extraditado desde Estados Unidos para ser juzgado por su responsabilidad en la masacre de los padres Jesuitas y dos mujeres en El Salvador en 1989.

    COMUNICADO DE PRENSA: El coronel salvadoreño Inocente Orlando Montano llega a...

    Read Story
  • Captura de pantalla 2017-10-19 a las 20.08.21 PRESS STATEMENT: Salvadoran Colonel Inocente Orlando Montano arrives in Madrid in police custody after the conclusion of his extradition process to stand trial for his involvement in the massacre of six Jesuit priests and two women in El Salvador in 1989.

    PRESS STATEMENT: Salvadoran Colonel Inocente Orlando Montano arrives in Madrid...

    Read Story