Lawyers say a former Salvadoran colonel has denied being involved in the massacre of five Spanish priests in El Salvador 28 years ago.
Two lawyers familiar with the proceedings said Inocente Orlando Montano told a Spanish National Court judge Monday that no mention of plans to assassinate the priests was made during a Nov. 15, 1989 meeting he attended.
Father Ignacio Ellacuria and five other Jesuit priests were killed the next day along with their housekeeper and her daughter. Ellacuria was mediating talks at the time to end the Salvadoran civil war.
The lawyers spoke anonymously in line with court rules.
The United States extradited Montano to Spain last week to face charges in the deaths of the five priests who were Spanish citizens.
He was El Salvador’s vice minister for public security during the 1980s.
This article, by Aritz Parra from Associated Press, was published on 4th December 2017 at ABC News.
Documentary: “Oil and Death Squads in Colombia”Read Story
Documental: “Escuadrones de petróleo y de la muerte en Colombia”Read Story
Maite Parejo participates in the event “La memoire indélébile des crimes...Read Story
Evento: “Proceso internacional por crímenes de lesa humanidad de la guerra...Read Story
PRESS RELEASE – British Lawyers in Geneva Call on the United Nations to...Read Story
BBC: “La “Masacre de Octubre” va a juicio en Estados Unidos:...Read Story
Event: “Prosecuting International Crimes: Expert Meeting on the...Read Story
Event: “The Indelible Memory of Crimes”, with Maite Parejo SousaRead Story
Event: “Attacking health: the end of international humanitarian law?”...Read Story
Publication of the Book: “The Rule of Law in Developing Countries: The case of...Read Story
Just Security: Toby Cadman Rejoinder to Government of BangladeshRead Story
Toby Cadman in TRT World: Can the charity sector survive a trust crisis?Read Story